At our Grand Opening and Open House events, it was especially gratifying to meet people who have never before considered making their own wine. During both evenings, there were many requests for an entry-level wine making program. In response to this interest, we have developed our Apprentice Wine-Making Program for those who want to try wine-making without having to commit to an entire barrel.
Shelter Rock Apprenticeship Wine-Making Program
An introduction to the wine-making process
This is how it works:
- When you join you will be assigned a specific barrel and grape. The grapes that are available this year are:
- Red Grapes: Cabernet Sauvignon , Merlot, Petit Sirah, Sangiovese and Cabernet Franc
- At the time of bottling we can make some blends, like Super Tuscan or Bordeaux
- Each barrel will be assigned up to 12 members.
- In October or November a crush date will be assigned to your barrel.
- Here you will join your new grape-crushing friends at Shelter Rock Winery for your Crushing event. (Your Crushing event will be lead by Giovanni, an expert wine-maker, who will answer any questions you have as he guides you through the process.)
- One to two weeks after the Crushing, we’ll have a Pressing event to remove the skins, stems, and seeds.
- Early next year, we will schedule a Racking event for each barrel to rack your wine, removing the sediments.
- Finally, in June, you’ll come together to bottle and label your wine. Each Apprentice takes home a full case (12 bottles) of wine.
- Selection of both the barrel and the grape will be first-come-first-served. You won’t be able to choose your favorite varietal, but as a member of our Wine Exchange Club (included in the Apprentice Membership) you will have the opportunity to exchange any number of bottles of your special wine for an equal number of others’ who are offering their’s to exchange.
- In June, after all wines are bottled, all Shelter Rock Winery members, including those who invested in a full barrel, are invited to attend our Annual Wine Exchange.
- There you can exchange any number of your bottles for those someone else has made and is offering as part of the Wine Ex change. For instance, you love your Merlot but maybe you’d like to try something different. Bring your Merlot to the Wine Exchange and see if there’s another varietal or blend you’d like to experience.
You Can Join This Program for Only $228
You will be part of the wine-making experience under the guidance of an expert and will receive a full case of wine at the end of the season.
In addition to the Wine Exchange, as a member you’ll be invited to attend several members-only social and educational events throughout the year. Learn how to pair wines with food, enjoy the company of other wine lovers in a relaxed environment, and explore the world of wine-making with an expert.
If there are questions, please call (203) 744-9488
Don’t Waste Time! It’s Time to Make Wine!